The "father" of the Brown County, Indiana art colony, artist Adolph Robert Shulz was born in Wisconsin in 1869. The artist was taught by his father at a very early age how to draw and sketch what he saw in the outdoor environment. Throughout his career Robert Shulz would work in numerous painting mediums, and would transition from Impressionism, to Realism before a complete conversion to Tonalist or "Pointillism" by the end of his life.
Adolph Robert Shulz studied painting at the Art Institute of Chicago and then moved on the Art Students League in New York where he studied under William Merritt Chase and Henry Siddons Mowbray. In 1894, Adolph Shulz and his new wife traveled to Paris where they both intended to continue their art studies. Shulz attended the Academie Julian and the Academie Colarossi where he studied painting under Benjamin Constant and Paul Laurens.
Adolph Shulz and his wife then relocated to Munich, where they each briefly opened art studios before returning to the United States after the birth of their first child. While the pair lived a comfortable lifestyle as professional artists back in Wisconsin, they read about Brown County, Indiana and visited the region in 1900.
The couple decided to relocate to the area after several painting excursions, and settled permanently in 1917. To supplement the family income, Adolph Shulz began accepting art students for painting lessons. He would also serve as a painting exhibition juror and continue to exhibit paintings throughout the region. Adolph Robert Shulz and his wife divorced in 1926, but both served as founding members of the Brown County Art Gallery, and Adolph Shulz donated property to the group in order to build a gallery in 1939.
Adolph Robert Shulz had many shows and exhibitions throughout his art career, including painting submissions to the Hoosier Salon from 1925 to 1942, as well as the Art Institute of Chicago and the Milwaukee Art Institute.