With a preference for marine scenes, mills and factories along the Hudson and Delaware Rivers, American painter Charles Rosen would combine elements of Cubism, Impressionism and modern art into his works.
He was a member of the New Hope Impressionist School and an active member of the Woodstock Art Colony. He had studied as an illustrator at the National Academy of Design. He had also studied with William Merritt Chases at the New York School of Art. He met his lifelong friend Frank Vincent DuMond during this period of his life, and it would be DuMond who introduced Rosen to the art colony in Old Lyme, Connecticut where Rosen developed his interest in Impressionism.
He married in 1903 and the couple relocated to New Hope, Pennsylvania where Rosen began to exhibit his works with the New Hope Group. He travelled to Woodstock, New York in 1918, to teach landscape painting for the Art Students League summer program, and was so taken with the region that he relocated to the area only two years later. In 1922 he and two associates founded the Woodstock School of Painting.
He remained in the area until his death in 1950, with the exception of a two year period from 1940 to 1942 when he was a director at the Koogler McNay Art Institute in San Antonio, Texas.
Rosen's work is in more than twenty museum collections, some focusing on his earlier Impressionist landscapes and others offering examples of his later, modern approach to his subject which placed an emphasis on man-made structures. His paintings can be seen in locations such as the James A. Michener Art Museum in Doylestown, Pennsylvania and the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City.