A student and instructor at the St. Louis School of Fine Arts at Washington University, Fred Greene Carpenter would win national and international recognition during his successful career.
He had studied in St. Louis for several years before heading to Paris to complete his training at the Academies Julian and Colarossi. He studied under Richard E. Miller, who would serve as the strongest influence on Carpenter's works. By 1910 he had won an Honorable Mention in the Paris Salon, and back in the United States he received a silver medal for his submission to the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition of 1915.
Once he, and his wife, returned to America they both continued to submit works and receive honors. Carpenter exhibited most often at the Pennsylvania Academy. In addition to his teaching, he also began to accept commission work, which included the Missouri State Capitol and the Paris, Missouri Post Office.
Carpenter is known as a remarkable colorist, who worked in the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist styles. While he displayed strong brush work in his earliest paintings, he later progressed to a more modern approach to his subjects. He painted, primarily, figure and genre scenes, but was also recognized for some of his portraiture and illustration work. He served as an instructor at the St. Louis School of Fine Arts until 1952.
His works are in the collections of several large museums, including the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia.